The pickle cucumbers are ripe and ready, and so it’s time to make some refrigerator pickles!
A Family Recipe
This is a recipe my aunt gave me. You really can’t ask for easier.
These pickles are not preserved by canning, they are to be kept in the fridge. The recipe says they will last up to nine months, but we will never know because they are gone long before then!
You can easily double or halve the recipe if you want to, but remember that the jars must be refrigerated.
Sophie's Refrigerator Pickles
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 cups white vinegar
- ½ cup salt (table)
- 1 ½ tsp celery seed
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 yellow onions, sliced
- 13-18 cucumber pickles, sliced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Pack onion slices into the bottom of clean jars.
- Fill jars with cucumber slices, leaving about 1 1/2 inches on top for adding pickle juice.
- Heat remaining ingredients over medium heat just until sugar dissolves completely. Cool the solution.
- Pour cooled pickle juice over cucumbers and put lids on jars.
- Refrigerate at least 5 days before eating. Turn the jars over once a day to disburse flavors!
© 2017 auntjoannblog.com. All rights reserved. See Legalese tab for permissions.