Have you been tempted to buy shredded chicken at the grocery store?
When you’re in a hurry this option looks attractive.
But at almost four times the cost of buying uncooked chicken breast, is it really worth the convenience?
I’ve discovered that its just as easy to cook your own shredded chicken in the slow cooker as it is to drive to the store and buy it.
You can make slow cooker shredded chicken on the weekend and have cooked chicken on hand for lunches and dinners during the week. Or, throw it in the slow cooker the day you want it, and make extra for leftovers.
Save money, time, and keep control over the ingredients. What more could you ask ?
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- slow cooker
- 1 lb. chicken breast halves
- 2 c. broth or water more or less as needed to cover meat
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 onion, trimmed
- 1 celery stalk
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Even frozen chicken breasts can go directly in the slow cooker.
- Add any of the optional ingredients of your choice.
- Completely cover meat with broth or water.
- Start slow cooker on "high" for about an hour until liquid is simmering.
- Turn slow cooker down to low for remaining cook time.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred or chop meat as desired to use in your recipes.
- Strain cooking liquid and save for recipes, or discard.