Fresh peach and corn salad makes good use of the produce piled high on farm stands in August.
I never would have thought to combine these ingredients in a salad but when I saw a recipe in Better Homes and Gardens that sounded great, I decided to give it a go. The results were fantastic.
Of course I modified the recipe because that’s how we roll! I added more greens, and feta. and omitted the toasted pita, though the original recipe is great, too.
Simply omit the feta cheese for a vegan option.
Both the fresh peach and corn added to the salad are raw and that may surprise you – it surprised me. But the combo tastes fantastic.
It does take time to clean and chop these ingredients but on the flip side the fruit and veggies hold up well in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat. That’s why the recipe directs you to make the dressing in a jar and pour it over the salad just before serving. This allows you to prepare the salad earlier in the day if, like me, you have more motivation and energy in the morning than you do in the late afternoon.
Fresh Peach and Corn Salad with Lemony Vinaigrette
- 6 c. arugula, mesclun, chopped romaine, spinach, etc.
- ½ c. parsley, fresh, coarsely chopped
- ¼ c. mint leaves, fresh
- 3 peaches or nectarines
- 1 c. corn, fresh, uncooked
- ¼ c. red onion
- ¼ c. feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- ¼ c. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt, or to taste
- Clean and chop or tear greens into a large mixing bowl. Add parsley and mint.
- Cut peaches in half and twist gently to loosen from stone pit. Slice or chop peaches and add to bowl.
- Clean fresh ears of corn. Cut kernels from cob and add to bowl.
- Thinly slice and then add red onion.
- Top salad with crumbled feta.
- In a jar, mix lemon juice, vinegar, oil, and salt. Shake vigorously and pour over salad just before serving.
To remove corn kernels from the cobb, carefully stand the ear on end and run a sharp knife down the base of the kernels toward your cutting board. Rotate the cob and continue stripping the kernels off. Then, scoop the kernels into the salad bowl.
Looking for more great salad recipes? Try our wheat berry salad with fresh fruit, dried cranberries, and toasted almonds.
Copyright 2022 ajoann.com. All rights reserved. See Legalese tab for permissions.