Sugar cookies are one of our favorites, and we’ve tried lots of recipes. This is one of the best.
The dough is stiff, so I don’t chill it. If you want to make the dough ahead of time, cover and chill it, then bring to room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.
You can roll out the dough dusted with flour or powdered sugar. If you use powdered sugar, it will make crisper cookies.
For a gluten-free variation, try our butter cookie recipe and use pink decorations and/or frosting.
Will's Favorite Valentine Sugar Cookies
- 1 ¼ c. butter softened
- 1 ⅓ c. powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 ⅔ c. flour
- Soften butter to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and powdered sugar, then add salt and flour. (Dough will be stiff.) Add a small amount of water to loosen dough , if necessary.
- Flour counter top and rolling pin. Roll dough to about 1/4" thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes.
- Use a spatula to move cookies to parchment lined baking sheet. (Add sprinkles now, or wait until cookies have baked and cooled to frost and decorate.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. Cookies should be slightly browned around edges. Cool on baking rack.
- If desired, frost with icing after cookies are completely cool.