Potato salad is a classic picnic go-to, and this recipe makes it even better. It’s gluten and dairy free, and you can make a tasty vegan version by omitting the bacon and substituting salted capers. (Rinse capers in cold water for about 15 minutes and then drain before adding to salad.)
Give the potatoes time to soak up some of the dressing before serving at room temperature. Don’t worry about storage – there won’t be any leftovers!
German Potato Salad
- 4 strips bacon Substitute 1 tbsp. soaked and drained salted capers for vegan recipe.
- 8 red skin potatoes, small
- ⅓ c. white vinegar
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- ⅓ c. salad oil, like Wesson vegetable oil or untoasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt omit or adjust amount if using salted capers
- ½ tsp. dried dill
- Cook the bacon and drain on paper towels. (Or soak capers for 15 minutes in cold water and drain, as a substitute for bacon.)
- Boil the potatoes in a pot of salted water until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and cool.
Make the dressing:
- Crumble the bacon (or drained capers) into a saucepan.
- Over low heat, add vinegar and sugar to the pot. Cook, whisking, until sugar dissolves.
- Turn off heat and whisk in salad oil, dijon mustard, and dill. Add salt as needed.
Dress the salad
- Slice the potatoes into a bowl. Cover and toss with dressing.
- Allow potato salad to rest at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve at room temperature.
Copyright 2023 ajoann.com. All rights reserved. See Legalese page for permissions.