Are you drowning in summer squash? It’s fun to grow, and bountiful, but if you let those fruits get too big, they just don’t taste the same.
So, you end up with a refrigerator full of squash.
No More Squash Bread
Instead of making another loaf of zucchini bread (though my son wouldn’t mind THAT at all!), try this pasta dish that is so flavorful even your zucchini haters ain’t gonna hate.
About Those Calories
Though this recipe does have a higher calorie count than I usually go for, (744 calories per serving), it is filling and delicious.
Once in a while, you should “Treat ‘Yo Self.”
Cutting the Calories and Gluten
Can’t do it? Eating gluten-free? Skip the pasta, halve the cheese, substitute zucchini noodles for the chopped squash and pasta, and use a turkey or veggie bacon.
(322 calories per serving, made with veggie bacon, 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, and zucchini noodles).
Linguine with Bacon and Summer Squash
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 strips bacon, cooked
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 3 cups squash, zucchini and yellow, chopped 1"
- ½ cup basil, fresh, chiffonade*
- dash salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil (low heat) in large skillet and add chopped bacon pieces.
- Add onion.
- Boil linguine according to package directions. Drain.
- Add chopped squash to skillet and saute until done.
- Add drained pasta to skillet. Add basil. Turn off heat and toss to mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate linguine and top with Parmesan cheese.