This “superfood” salad will become a favorite in your healthy food arsenal, because it’s just that good! Protein, calcium, fiber, vitamins, antioxidants … it’s loaded with the foods that energize your mind and your body, build healthy bones, and fuel your metabolism. What more could you ask for?
The arugula adds a peppery bite and lacy texture to the salad, while the pomegranate arils burst with sweetness. You can buy arils in most markets these days, but peeling the pomegranate is not very difficult. I often keep pomegranate pieces in the fridge and use them as needed. They hold up well if kept in an airtight container.
That Dressing is Fresh!
The dressing includes pureed cucumber and fresh lime juice, imparting a tangy flavor while adding viscosity. Along with dill, olive oil, salt, and pepper, you won’t believe how delicious this dressing will make kale taste.
Don’t use bottled lime juice, you’ll be disappointed. Buy a good citrus reamer and always use fresh citrus juices in your cooking.
Don’t Hesitate to Substitute
Quantities are given, but there’s no harm in adjusting them to what you have on hand; and that goes for ingredients, too. Sometimes when you substitute, you find things that you like even better. No pepitas? Try roasted almonds or peanuts. Out of red pepper? Add chopped celery or kohlrabi for crunch.
If you want to reduce the caloric content, skip the walnuts in the recipe, or reduce them by 25%.
It’s Vegan, Too!
This main dish or side dish, superfood salad is raw vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and habit forming (in a good way)! It’s a recipe that fits perfectly in the Mediterranean and Mind diet frameworks, emphasizing foods from plant-based foods high in nutritional value.
Superfood Salad to Feed Your Mind and Body!
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked, red or white
- 6 inch chunk seedless cucumber pureed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 limes fresh, juiced
- 1 tablespoon dill weed dried
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ tsp salt & pepper
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup pepitas roasted
- ½ cup garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ cup red pepper chopped
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 2-4 cups arugula
- 2-4 cups kale chopped
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Cool in a large bowl.
- Puree the cucumber in a power blender or food processor; or, you can grate it into a bowl by hand, reserving pulp and juice. Whisk in olive oil, fresh lime juice, dill weed, sugar, salt, and pepper. Set dressing aside.
Assemble the salad
- When quinoa has cooled, mix all remaining ingredients together. Pour dressing over, and mix to coat salad. Let sit for 30 minutes or more to meld flavors.